Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Start to Finish for Ghostly, Part III

Sorry for the blurry image! It's dark in the workshop and the flash just washes out all the color, so I leave it turned off.

Anyway, here I am fine-tuning the shape with the last gouge I'll use before switching to sand paper. You can see the shape of the pen now.









I start with 100 grit sandpaper, bringing the wood down closer to the bushings. Between sandings, I'll also turn the lathe off and sand with the grain to remove any marks.

I do 100, 220, 320, 400, 600 & 800 grit successively. It's really the most boring part. Tedious, but worth it on the final product.







Now this pen in particular requires that a tenon be cut from the upper portion. Here I am with a parting tool doing that.




And so here's the sanded piece. Yes, that's Guns-N-Roses in the background. You're welcome. Check out the swirls on this burl!
And finally, this pen receives a coat of 100% pure tung oil to bring out the grain. Notice the difference in color when the oil is applied. This will truly be a gorgeous piece.


















No comments:

Post a Comment